Mercury is a naturally occurring element but too much is dangerous to the environment, especially to water bodies and fish. While the majority of mercury in the environment comes from commercial and industrial uses, there are many household sources as well. Residential customers may unknowingly wash mercury products such as cosmetics (see FDA website for warnings), household cleaners and broken thermometers down the drain. Click here to find out other places you may have mercury in your home.
The Town encourages residents to purchase mercury-free products and to not discard any items containing mercury into the trash or into the sewer system.
Other Helpful Websites:
SCDHEC Mercury Reduction Initiative
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Fish Consumption Advisories